Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Composition Box by Kathi and Layout by Melissa

Hi Crafters!  Today we have two projects to share.  First up is Kathi with her version of the Composition Boxes we've been sharing with you this month.


Hi everyone, it's Kathi here to share my composition box & a video on how I altered it. It's hard to believe it's been 40 years since I graduated from High School in 1974.  I thought it would be fun to create a memory box representing Lewiston Senior High, Lewiston Idaho, home of The Bengals.  I decorated the box with my school colors.

Bengal Tigers 
Full view of box, 
High school colors purple & gold.
close up of top

Video :

Supplies Used:
Gina;s Designs:

Other supplies:
Quick Quotes paper "Julie Je T'aime"
Distress paint
WOC flowers
Recollection flowers
Flat back beads. 
Miniature photo frame
Stuffed Bengal tiger
Chipboard letters & numbers from my stash


Next up is Melissa with an amazing mixed media layout.

Hi everyone! Melissa here with a 12 x 12 layout for Gina's Designs Lasercut Chipboard.

This is a photo of a beach in Greenport, on the north shore of Long Island, New York.   It was taken in September, almost October, so I put a little Halloween in here too, just for fun.


All of the chipboard was first prepped with some gesso, followed by some texture paste painted on with a brush. I only put a tiny bit on the sea horse.  The chandelier got painted with blue metallic acrylic paint, then glossy accents, then a little gold ink. For the chains I applied gold ink over silver glitter.  The flames have gold leaf on them.  The crows were painted with black acrylic, then glossy accents, then gold mica powder and water.  I went around the edges with a black sharpie to make the colors stand out more.

The blue mermaid was painted with watercolors. I drew fish scales over blue paint on the dress, then put a little green gel pen on. To make the hair look like strands,  I scratched wet texture paste with a straight pin.  I painted it with gold mica powder and water, and followed that with a little purplish- blue mica powder.

On the green mermaid I put scales on by using a piece of netting and texture paste. I painted it with blue watercolor, then watered down green acrylic silk.   I rubbed in some gold mica powder.

The sand dollar I first painted with wet gold mica powder, then a little brown watercolor around the star part, to give a little definition.  I rubbed in pewter mica.  

The seahorse is brown watercolor. I added detail with a pencil, using a print of a seahorse as a guide.


Thanks for looking!

Chipboard used:


Other products used:

Jaquard mica powders
Glossy Accents
Butterfly by Reneabouquet
Winton and Lewis Watercolors
Stencil by Finnabair for Prima
DCWV paper
Swarovski flatback crystals
Tiny pieces of Vintaj
Jolees bling


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...