Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Artist Trading Blocks by Nancy

Hello Friends!  Nancy here to share my version of our Artist Trading Blocks.   Our team members have been sharing these all this month, and it's been amazing to see all the different versions of these fun and versatile blocks.  I decided on a bird theme for mine.  I used the large block separately and left the top cover open,  and I stacked the smaller ones together.  The blocks are made of chipboard and come ready to assemble using the pre-scored fold lines.  I used red line tape to assemble my blocks.  Once assembled,  I covered the blocks completely with gesso to help build a firmer and sturdier surface.  I also "frosted" over the seams lightly with modeling paste and a painters spatula, then I painted and inked the edges.  I used matte Mod Podge to apply the paper, and I also put a heavy coat of the Mod Podge on top of the paper.   My end result were blocks that are very solid and sturdy like wood!

I chose digital papers in a colorful bird theme from Ephemera's Vintage Garden to cover my blocks.  For the feet, I glued wooden spools to the bottom of the blocks then painted them with gesso followed by Tim Holtz dabber paint in copper.  I toned that color down with Gilder's Paste in Verdigris and in Patina.  I also rubbed on some extra gesso to further distress the feet.



  Following the prep work, I had a lot of fun decorating my blocks with  3-D birds, nests and eggs from the floral dept. at JoAnn's.   I felt that I needed some greenery so I die cut vines and ferns, and then I coiled some green floral wire by wrapping it around the handle of a large artist's brush and poking the straight end of the wire through the birds nest, then bending it and attaching it to the bottom of the nests on both blocks.  To the top of the coils I added eggs on the large block and the letters "FLY" on the smaller set.



Gina's Designs Products Used:

Other:
Design Paper by Ephemera's Vintage Garden -  Spring Chic Collection
Vine Die by Marianne Creatables
Fern and Leaf Die by Marianne Creatables
Leopard Butterfly by Renea Bouquets






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...