Monday, July 14, 2014

Altered Canvas by Veronica and Trinket Box by Donna

We have two designers on the blog today with some truly inspiring projects to share.  First up is Veronica.


Hi Everyone! Veronica here to share an Altered Canvas that I made for a friend of mine. I'm calling it "She Stood in the Storm", as she just recently beat breast cancer.  I wanted to show her my support through a mixed media canvas.
Gina's Designs  has so many wonderful choices in laser cuts, that I was easily inspired!
I love having all my medias at reach any time I work on a project.
  I just go at the canvas with how I'm feeling at that moment, and with so many chipboard shapes to choose from, I find myself immersed into a Mixed Media Heaven!

Thank you so much for stopping by,
and have a Blessed Day!


Products used:
Gina's Designs
Dress Forms 1 Miniature Shape Set
Doily Set Intricates
Steampunk Lady
Vintage Ladies Silhouettes Set
Art Deco Borders & Corners


Next up is Donna to share one of our trinket boxes.  These boxes are actually quite large at 7x7x3.

Hi scrappy friends, it's Donna again with a trinket box from Gina's Designs. This is a great item to make as a gift or just to keep all your special trinkets and scrapbook goodies in. It is a great size, sturdy and very easy to assemble. The dark color hardwood is a beautiful, smooth, semi gloss brown color. I almost hated to cover it up with paper!


The first thing I did, before I assembled the trinket box, was to take each piece and trace an outline on the paper I chose to cover the box. You have control of which parts of the paper you will use for each section.  It was very easy to cut out the shapes and glue them to the hardwood pieces. I did not paint the sections of the box that would not be covered with paper. As I previously mentioned, the hardwood is a very beautiful color. Then being very careful to attach the paper to the correct side of the hardwood sections, I glued the paper in place.  If needed, take a small file of some type and gently sand/file down the areas your paper may not fit exactly over the shape of the base and lid of the box. I had a lucky day, mine fit perfectly!

And then the real fun begins when it's time to add the embellishments: a few fussy cut flowers, paper flowers, gold lace, cameos, pearl sprays, pearls, crystals, and I added a couple of birds on branches from Gina's Birdwatching Shape Set.  I covered the chipboard shapes, with gesso, let them dry, and then painted the two birds with antiqued bronze crackle paint. The branches were painted with artichoke shimmer texture paint. I wanted to keep the chipboard simple because there are a lot of embellishments on the box. And I added a brass handle to the lid. There is a pre-drilled hole in the lid if you need it. There are so many beautiful knobs and handles out there to choose from for this fabulous box!


It was very hard to capture, in photos, how beautiful the muted colors of the paper and flowers work together, and how pretty the brass stamped cameos and handle are. The flowers and tips of some of the leaves are misted with gold shimmer mist. They really have a beautiful sheen in person. I also added paper to the inside of the box. 


Gina's Designs products


Other products

Fabscraps Heritage paper
Gold sparkle lace from Tresors de Luxe
Brass stamped cameos and frame from Etsy
Gold pearl sprays
Gold shimmer mist
Misc jewelry pearls and crystals
Flowers and leaves from Prima
Misc flowers from stash
Antiqued bronze crackle paint
Shimmer texture paint-artichoke
Crafters Pick - glue

Thank you for stopping by Gina's today! I hope I have inspired you to make something beautiful!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...